The Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) is currently seeking a sophisticated and seasoned Vice President of Development to lead the organization in the achievement of its fundraising goals. Reporting directly to the President, they will develop and execute NTI’s fundraising strategy focused on diversifying revenue streams. They are responsible for leading and expanding a development program that will sustainably raise $20-$25 million in revenue annually.
The Vice President has the opportunity to work with the NTI team to shape the next generation of donors and supporters and take their vision for the development program from ideation to inception. They will maintain powerful, personal relationships with supporters, and identify and steward new relationships, with a special emphasis on building out the major donor program. The right candidate is an exceptional written and oral communicator and relationship-builder with the creativity and skills to develop a long-term fundraising strategy. The successful candidate will drive a collaborative and strategic team approach to development.
Primary duties and responsibilities
- Provide strong, strategic leadership to deliver on ambitious but attainable goals that will diversify and increase annual operating funds.
- Determine the vision, direction, and execution of tactical plans to build and manage a full-scale development program, both near- and long-term.
- Conceptualize, plan, and implement a strategic approach to building relationships and securing philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, and foundations, including developing strategies for prospects, prioritizing activities, soliciting gifts, and orchestrating the involvement of institutional leadership.
- Organize and implement financial goals and strategies, analyze and identify problems, and formulate creative solutions.
- Understand the roles and contributions of Development Office staff and make staffing and hiring decisions as needed so that skills are maximized, and the group is motivated to work interactively with a sense of mission and commitment.
- Develop clear short- and long-term plans for the Development Office that are both realistic and challenging; prepare annual fundraising plan and budget.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of development initiatives, including results, reporting, budgets, communications, and external initiatives.
- Assist in gaining visibility for NTI; help build on NTI’s brand and position in the field. Translate research for a wide audience to make the case for new sources of funding and build a positive understanding of the organization with its many audiences.
- Collaborate with senior leadership and program team peers to steward and provide donors and prospective donors with a positive experience.
- Continually upgrade fundraising practices and infrastructure to align with best practices nationally and ensure successful adherence to grant and restricted giving agreements.
- Member of the Senior Leadership Team: participates in meetings and represents the development team and strategy across the institution.
The ideal Vice President of Development will have extensive experience in the design and execution of multi-faceted revenue generation strategies. The Vice President’s experience will include the diversification of a funding base and the continual and creative expansion of a major donor pipeline. The successful candidate will have experience working closely with senior management and a Board of Directors to build visibility, impact, and financial resources toward organizational goals.
DRiWaterstone is proud to lead this search on behalf of NTI.