YR Media is an award-winning, youth-focused nonprofit, nurturing BIPOC talent in media, technology, and music. Headquartered in Oakland, CA, with a new Chicago-based Midwest hub, their 30 years of excellence in journalism, multimedia, graphic design, podcasts, and documentaries amplify underrepresented voices, shaping impactful narratives.
YR Media Seeks a passionate, innovative, and strategic Chief Development and Growth Officer.
As the Chief Development and Growth Officer, the successful candidate will lead a dedicated team to spearhead a comprehensive development program focused on growth. They will provide strategic development leadership to advance YR Media’s mission and will be responsible for actively engaging fundraising volunteers. The Chief Development and Growth Officer will position the organization as a nonprofit of choice for the investments of individual and institutional donors. The position is responsible for strategic and tactical planning for YR Media’s development efforts, supervision of development staff, execution of annual giving plans, and regular program assessments.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Spearhead and guide revenue generation and business development initiatives, encompassing both philanthropic and earned revenue streams.
- Achieve annual revenue targets through meticulous planning and the implementation of aggressive year-over-year growth strategies.
- Contribute as a pivotal member of the senior leadership team, actively participating in decision-making, strategic planning, and goal-setting for the core annual operating fund.
- Oversee a diverse portfolio of at least 50 major gift prospects annually, personally undertaking solicitations for gifts exceeding $10,000.
- Direct and supervise all ongoing development activities, ensuring robust engagement with a variety of income sources, including individual, institutional, and corporate.
- Supervise the design and execution of fundraising materials, including direct mail campaigns, while managing the timely completion and submission of grant proposals.
- Manage and provide expert coaching, guidance, and constructive feedback to 2-3 direct reports, focusing on refining strategies, clarifying responsibilities, and fostering professional development.
- Collaborate closely with the executive team to facilitate board members’ involvement in institutional and individual fundraising efforts.
- Work in tandem with Creative, Communications departments and other stakeholders to enhance the institutional profile of the agency.
Qualifications include but are not limited to:
- Progressive promotion through development positions in a nonprofit institution.
- Documented success in cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding individual gifts of $10,000+ and institutional gifts of $100,000+.
- Experience planning, leading and managing development projects with success in fundraising from multiple donor channels, including setting and implementing major gift solicitation strategies and institutional application processes.
- Experience working for an organization with a budget of $7 million+.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage budgets.
- Working knowledge of fundraising standards for nonprofits, with CFRE or CASE certifications preferred.
This position’s job location is hybrid to Oakland, CA, or Chicago, IL. This position may transition to a regular on-site presence at a YR Media Hub.
DRiWaterstone is proud to lead this search on behalf of YR Media.