For more than a century, Appalachian communities have powered the growth of America’s industrial might. Today, Appalachia is on the frontlines of an American energy transition. Together with local citizens, Appalachian Voices fights to protect the land, air, and water of the region and to build a generative and equitable clean energy economy that fosters local prosperity and achieves meaningful and lasting change across the country. Appalachian Voices is fueled by an abiding love for our common resources. It respects the depth and complexity of the region’s history and honors cultural traditions that uphold the integrity of the land and people.
Appalachian Voices is a leading non-profit advocate for a healthy environment and just economy in the Appalachian region, and a driving force in America’s shift from fossil fuels to a clean energy future. They currently have 30 staff members working from offices in Charlottesville and Norton, Va., Durham and Boone, N.C., and Knoxville, Tennessee. Appalachian Voices seeks a Director of Finance and Operations who will join a dynamic organization, having grown in both size and impact, further enabling Appalachian Voices to meet and seize on the critical opportunities before the region. Key qualifications include:
- At least ten years of accounting experience with a preference for candidates with five years of non-profit financial management.
- Superior understanding of all aspects of non-profit accounting and financial management, appropriate knowledge of tax laws and related issues and regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations, including federal and state filings and sound internal controls.
- Experience managing non-profit audits is preferred.
- Proficiency in Excel, G Suite, QuickBooks. Preference for candidates with experience with constituent relationship management software and time-tracking and expense software.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with discretion.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work well independently and in teams.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance.
Development Resources, inc. (DRiWaterstone) is leading this search for Appalachian Voices. All of DRiWaterstone ‘s searches can be viewed at https://driwaterstonehc.com//available-positions/.